Saturday, August 18, 2012

Going Ashore, to Icy Strait Point



Our first stop on our Alaskan cruise was Icy Straight Point. Also known as, the home of the world's largest zipline. That's right, you plunge 5,400 feet in 90 seconds. Eek! Needless to say, this crew did not zip.


Once we tendered to shore, we were met with the most lush and draw-droppingly beautiful landscapes. Seriously, Alaska is everything you imagine it will be!

We joked that it looked like Twilight could have been filmed in Icy Strait Point.



For our activity in Icy Strait, we took a cooking class from a native and learned all about Alaskan Salmon! Our teacher explained the various ways the people use and preserve this delectable fish - and she even fileted a gigantic salmon and halibut for us to whip up on the outdoor grill. Folks, this was the best salmon and halibut I've ever tasted. YUM-O! Made it real hard to come back to land-locked Oklahoma and order fish, that's for sure!




Mommacita thought it was funny that I took a picture of this boxed wine, but I couldn't get over how tastey our white wine spritzer was during dinner. I will definitely be purchasing and indulging in this

Mr. Marcus cannot pass up the opportunity for a great photo op, so we took a few pictures near the "Icy Strait Point" entrance - and got a couple of great shots with our boat in the background. After I took the twenty couple pictures that Marcus requested, I offered to take the same picture for another couple on our boat that was waiting in line. (Sidenote: does anyone ever feel awkward asking someone else to take your picture? I do; that's why I always offer to take one for others! LOL) After that couple, another came up... then another... then another. We joked that the cruise ship needed to hire me to be the official photographer in Icy Strait.




Following our day in Icy Strait, we had a sea day as we approached the Hubbard Glacier. It was SO cold standing on the deck of the boat!







It was so cool (no pun intended) to see all of the blue ice broken off in the water as we approached the glacier. I think we finally "docked" 7 miles out from Hubbard - we had to stop a little pre-maturely because so much of the water was ice, and the captain said we couldn't navigate through it safely. I was cool with that - I'm not looking to relive the Titanic!


Is it just me or did it get a little chilly in here after looking at all of these pictures of snow and ice?!

Tomorrow we're "going" to Juneau. It was our busiest day of the trip with THREE excursions!

xoxo, E

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving all of the pictures from your trip. You guys are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete