Monday, March 24, 2014

I can't, I have...

When you go to a school that is highly specialized in the performing arts - and also goes by the nickname Overly Committed University (OCU - Okla. City University) - you get used to having to plan to spend time with friends. There's almost no room for spontaneity.

So, when trying to make plans with friends, one of the most commonly heard replies was, "I can't, I have rehearsal."

Obviously, it's been a few years since those words have crossed my lips. However, in the last 7 weeks, I've said, "I can't, I have to run," far more times than I can count. [Wow - how comma happy did I get in that last sentence?!]

My social life has taken a hit because of my desire to train for this half-marathon.

I'm so blessed because my friends have been awesomely supportive. One of my favorite moments in the day is when Brandi asks how far I have to run that night. It's become our little ritual. And the number of times that Gentry has said, "I'm so proud of you for doing this!" feels pretty darn good.

However, it's nearly impossible for me to make plans with friends "after hours." My schedule is wildly hectic, and I love it, but sometimes I'd really love to have hours on end to spend with my friends without running through this list in my head:

  • I need to get enough sleep tonight so that I'm rested for tomorrow's run
  • I shouldn't have anything to drink, just in case I get a headache from the alcohol
  • I definitely can't go out to eat if I want my tummy to like me during my run tomorrow - TMI, but true
  • My house is a mess, I need to do laundry, it's my only free night from my training plan
  • I really should be doing some cross training tonight
  • And the list goes on...

I'm super excited for the half-marathon, and I'm already looking for the next race to train for, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the return of free time in May.

This past weekend, I decided that I was going to spend time with my girlfriends and prioritize some "me time." I'm taking care of my body by running, but my soul needed a little loving this weekend. So, I made the time.

I had the most amazing lunch on Thursday with Courtney. While we've seen each other out and about, and done the hugs & "it's so good to see you"s at events, we [very intentionally] took the time to be real and get to know each other. I'm going to call it now, that lunch was the start of a beautiful new friendship.

Kimmy and I had a girls night on Friday, complete with mani/pedis, Crepe Brewers, hearing The Flukes play at Premiere, mexican food, skinny margaritas, and all the laugher. All. Of. It.



Did I mention there was laughter? This is what happens when Kimmy shouts "I'm not ready for the picture yet!!" We turn into 13 year old girls when we're together.


Saturday evening was spent with my Kelly. This is the friendship that is the biggest casualty of my busy schedule. We live on opposite ends of OKC; we don't work 20 feet from each other anymore; and our schedules never seem to align. So, after many (many) failed attempts, we finally had a date over the weekend! 

When I told Kelly we needed to take a photo, she suggested that the entry rug should be our backdrop. She meant it as a joke, but I thought it'd be perfect. The following series of (less than flattering) photos occurred. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard!



Pull it together...


NOPE!


Kelly is such a treasure of a friend, and I'm so lucky that she fights to maintain our friendship. I think that's becoming my favorite quality in a friend. Someone who makes the effort when you start to drop the ball.

Chelsey came in to town this weekend - and any adventure with her truly needs its own post! ;) My soul needed some love this weekend and time with Chels overflowed my heart with joy.


You know those girls that are loud and squeal and are a bit too dramatic? Well, we are those girls when we're together. I have no doubt that we annoy those around us, but I just don't care. She is one of the best things that happened to me in college - and I'll revert back to College Eliz when I'm with her, unapologetically.

This weekend reminded me that friendships take intention. They don't just happen. It was a pretty sweet weekend and I think this high will carry me through the remainder of my training -- that and the fact that Kimmy and I have another girls night planned for this Friday!

xoxo, E

No comments:

Post a Comment