Thursday, February 13, 2014

Whatever it takes...

Training for the half-marathon has been really good for my Happiness Project. Sticking to a strict training schedule forces me to say no to the "extras" in my schedule and make changes when I need to say yes.

This is the background on my computer at work. It's a nice little reminder to prioritize the day's tasks and take care of myself.


By the way, Design Love Fest has the most amazing downloads to help you "dress your tech." I have like four different desktop background options because of her!

So, in addition to learning how not to overbook my schedule, I'm also learning the best way for me to achieve a goal, both mentally and physically. I prioritize sleep time. And man, it was hard to get out of bed this morning.

When I'm running, it's a constant mind game. I set goals like: just run until you reach that intersection up ahead, keep running to the beat of this song, if that stoplight is green when you reach it keep running, if it's red go ahead and take a breather.

Well, the other day, I was reaching the end of my run, and I rounded the corner to see this City bus parked on the street. (Truth be told, I went back after I finished to snap the picture - I was in the zone at the time!) Going Home. Those two words miraculously put some major pep in my step. I was almost at the end of my run, I was nearing my goal for the day - and on my way to the larger goal - all I had to do was keep putting one foot in front of the other and make it "home."


Funny how I can get all analytical and introspective because of a digital sign on a bus, isn't it?

I'm learning how to be kinder to myself while I'm running. I don't have runner's form - and that's ok! I am running. I'm getting better and becoming stronger.

Bobbie sent me these eBibs last night and I couldn't stop laughing - they are so true.




One of the "sacrifices" I made this week was to not attend our Happiness Project meeting on Monday night. I know that sounds like the wrong thing to give up since the reason I'm taking care of myself and working on some stuff is because of my Happiness Project group. Well, with all of the drama with my frozen hot water pipe - hooray! After a week, I now have water again and have moved back into my house! - I decided that I needed to get a good workout in at the gym and give myself some still-time before the week got going. I didn't allow myself to feel guilt over that decision.

Oh, and one other thing - I think I'm actually becoming a runner. I love running outside and switching back and forth in my mind between singing along with my playlist and zoning out to my thoughts. 

We'll see how I feel when the days of having to run 6 and 7 miles roll around...

As for today, I've got a brisk 2 miles ahead of me and the weather is supposed to be gorgeous!

xoxo, E

No comments:

Post a Comment