Monday, February 10, 2014

Digital Creative Workshop Round-Up

I could not have possibly imagined all that I'd walk away with from the CooperHouse Digital Creative Workshop this weekend.

The two-day workshop took place at Dunlap Codding in Film Row. We had a great group of creatives in one room and it was so much fun to make some new friends, as well as spend time with old ones!


We started the day Friday by going through the book that Erin put together for the workshop. I was super excited to take a class from someone whose work I admire so much. You guys, in addition to being super talented, she's also a phenomenal teacher. If I had to go back to school for any reason, I'd only want Erin to be my professor. She is funny, engaging, knowledgeable and you could tell she was excited to be there!

We started learning Illustrator on the first day. Check out my beautiful boxes and cloud on the left - I got super creative on the right (sarcasm) and made said cloud into a balloon, a la Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. 

 

Before lunch, Steph led us through a painting exercise. I did my absolute best not to be super critical of my painting skills. Jenny & Ashley mentioned how much they love the scrap paper towels when their kids paint at home - I noticed that mine wasn't half bad either! 

  


Once we were familiar with the basic features of Illustrator, we moved on to recreating a poster that Erin made with one of her oh-so-wise design sayings. 


Erin said that one of the best ways to learn how to use the tools is Illustrator is to find some images and practice tracing them. Well, ladies and gents, meet my Mickey Mouse. Some of his edges are a little jagged still, but I'm working on it!


At the start of Day 2, we discussed social media and marketing for small businesses. Rachael gave us some pointers on styling great photos and the best way to optimize iPhone photography. She also gave us a list of suggested apps to download to enhance our photos.


Once Rachael was done teaching, Erin gave us an assignment to take a photo that reflected our experience at the workshop, using the skills we just learned. Here is the photo I took...


Emily took this Behind the Scenes pic of my photo in the making! Love it!


Speaking of Miss Em - I totally took this creeper pic of her and Wiser during the workshop. They are seriously the most adorable couple - I love to watch them interact with each other. The way she looks at Chris is just so sweet. Emily is also one heck of a mom! It's so special to watch how she parents Sammy... Oh, and she's also adorably pregnant right now with baby #2. 


We tackled Photoshop in the afternoon and learned so much! My favorite lesson though was when Stephanie quickly scratched out her signature and started manipulating it. Talk about making this monogram-obsessed girl's heart pitter patter a little faster! 

I was surprised how good my signature turned out - seeing as how I used the trackpad on my laptop! 


I couldn't help but snap this picture of our little group just working away!



The Digital Creative Workshop was an absolute blast and I learned so much. I'm really looking forward to diving into the book that Erin wrote for the workshop and practicing my new skills!!

It sure was a special experience to be in a room of creatives, bloggers, artists, musicians and designers. Thank you Erin for creating such an amazing workshop!

xoxo, E

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for coming & for sharing about your experience!

    ReplyDelete