Thursday, November 14, 2013

Where'd all the tights go?

If you follow me on Twitter, you might recall a month and a half ago when I was convinced that there had been a tights rapture.


I tore my house apart looking for a single, solitary pair of tights. Just one. I didn't care if they matched the dress I was wearing to JPS' wedding. I just needed one pair of tights to be found. I needed to know I wasn't losing my mind.

All my tote bags - emptied
Sock/sports bra drawer - emptied and refilled
Undergarments drawer - rifled through
Under the bed storage - tossed about

You guys... where did all the tights go?!

Yesterday morning, when I was digging for my olive green v-neck in my tank top drawer, I literally said out loud "WAIT! WHAT?!" Low and behold, there they were, all the tights!!

Let's not talk about how I still can't find that olive green v-neck.

Point is, all of my tights have been sitting in that drawer, and I thought they had up and disappeared, for the last 6 weeks. SIX WEEKS!

As Mommacita would say, "If they'd been a snake, they would've bit ya!"

I can't even tell you how many times I've opened that drawer. Oh geez.

Earlier this week, Jill and I were talking about perspective. Finally finding my tights got me thinking on our conversation some more. Stick with me for a second...

When I was looking for my tights, I could not see them. They were right in front of my face. And instead of slowing down and calmly looking through all my drawers, I was tearing things apart like a crazy person.

The same could be said for life, right? When things get chaotic and crazy, we have a tendency to become even crazier.

When I'm stressed at work, I take that stress level into all areas of my life.
  • I might talk 1,000 miles a minute (as opposed to my normal 250 mpm) - causing the conversation to take on a level of urgency that is absolutely unnecessary. 
  • The office printer might jam (which it does far too often) and I might slam the paper tray shut a little too forcefully. 
  • I might get annoyed that someone is sending me too many emails. Calm down Newton, it'd be worse if they weren't replying.
  • I might grossly overreact and then have to go back and apologize 7 minutes later.

Perspective.

At least 3 times a day in the office, we follow whatever we're complaining about with "first world problem." Guys, all of my problems are first world problems.
  • I wish I could drop a few pounds - I have too much food at my disposal
  • I have 6 scars that are at least 3 inches in length, each - I'm alive and cancer-free
  • I hate spending $50 to fill up my gas tank every week - I have a great car that not only gets me from point A to point B, but it also warms up really fast during the cold months. That matters!
  • Instagram wouldn't refresh for a few hours the other day - seriously? I need to explain that one?

How lucky am I?!

Perspective.

Yes, finally finding my tights (first world problem, again) gave me perspective.

So many people are posting what they're thankful for on Facebook this month. Well, I'm thankful for my life! It sounds vague and general - and possibly a little bit Pollyanna - but I am. I'm thankful for every moment, every stressor, all of it!

Feeling all warm and fuzzy now?

Take a few moments to think it over and get a little bit of perspective on this beautiful Thursday.

xoxo,
E

Oh, and just because the rest of the Twitter conversation was entertaining, here's the thread that followed my tights rapture tweet...




No comments:

Post a Comment