Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stagnant Summer

Taking an oh so brief step away from vacations, house updates, pretty things and fun parties for a little bit of real talk.Am I the only one that feels a little bit of the summer lull creeping in? Does anyone else even experience the stagnant summer feeling? Maybe it's just me...

I feel like every couple of months I get this discontent feeling - and actually I've just completed the longest period of time between "episodes" that I can remember. I have absolutely zero reason to feel discontent.

  • I have an amazing family - truly stellar
  • My friends are second to none - they keep me laughing and entertained
  • I have an adorable house - I still can't believe it's mine
  • Not only do I have a great vehicle - but I have a vehicle that cools down within a couple of minutes - and in this crazy Oklahoma heat that's suddenly decided to grace us with its presence, that's HUGE
  • I have clothes on my back - and far too many in my closet
  • I have an amazing job - like seriously folks, you should be jealous of the people I get to work with and the things I get to be a part of
  • I have my health - this is a biggie in the "praise" department for our family. When you have a few melanoma diagnoses and some other random health junk, your poor parents' emotions get put through the ringer. E being healthy is a huge blessing
Yet, even still, I feel restless/discontent/stagnant/unfulfilled... and it makes me feel a little ungrateful.

The other day, I was talking to my friend Ferr and I just blurted out, "I need a new hobby! I'm so discontent! ::pause, pause, pause:: Actually, I just need a hobby!"

I can't remember a time in my life where I wasn't doing something creative.

  • In middle school and high school, it was scrapbooking and performing 
  • In college it was dancing (which became my job and no longer my hobby) and blogging at Olive My Life!
  • During one summer at home, it was creating button art pieces that I called "Belle of the Wall"



  • I have been incredibly busy with events since I started my new job (side note: when does it become simply "my job" and not "my new job?" I started in September lol)
  • Then I bought a house and spent a couple months focused on project management and decorating
  • Now... I'm... in... a... rut

It's nice to have some downtime, don't get me wrong, but I've had enough. One of my to-do items over the weekend is to figure out exactly what I want my summer goals to be. I'm working on a list of 25 things I want to do while I'm 25, so I need to finish that this weekend as well.

I started reading "The Wedding Night" this week and I'm itching for a couple hours to do nothing but get lost in the world that Sophie Kinsella so elegantly creates in all of her books. 

On second thought, I love that I have downtime... I just need to program it well. 

So, with that in mind, I'll leave you with the following: 
"May the space between where I am and where I want to be inspire me." -Tracee Ellis Ross

I hope it sticks with you the way it has with me! xoxo, E




No comments:

Post a Comment