Monday, January 23, 2012

Asking for (fill in the blank)

We are going through an awesome series at church right now - it's called Better. "When life hands you choices... choose Better!"

Last week, the focus was "It is better to have less of what doesn't matter and more of what does."

This one got me thinking - I cannot tell you how many times I will walk in my closet and think, "there's nothing to wear." This is a bold face lie. There is TOO MUCH to wear.

Folks, I cannot even open/close my t-shirt drawer without pushing the piles down and "putting my back into it." Time. To. Purge.

Our pastor challenged us to cut back - throw out - turn off.

This week's message was one of those where you feel like the pastor is talking to only you, and you tear up and say, "Okay, Lord. I get it. Could you let me make it to my car before the water works start?" But in my case, I didn't even make it through worship without bawling like a baby. It's true. One of those vulnerable afternoons in church.

Craig talked about how God told Solomon he would give him one wish - and give him whatever he asked for. As many of us know, Solomon chose wisdom. When Craig asked, "What would you choose," one word popped into my head. I knew my answer would be happiness.

I have never been one to dream of fame or fortune - You can ask my mom, I have never been driven by money. Don't get me wrong, I love money, but it doesn't get me out of bed in the morning.

My happiness and enjoyment of my life dictates my choices. I feel run down when I don't have time for myself or time with the ones I love. Lord, I pray for happiness.

I could very easily get bogged down in the sadness that I am so far from my family. I am really struggling right now with contentment. Part of my prayer is that I recognize and cherish the moments that I have on the phone with my parents. Although I can't see them as often as I need, I need to be thankful for the times I have with them, even if it's only on the phone.

Craig told us that those without wisdom are fools, and Fools:
1. Act before they think
2. Spend all they earn
3. Hurt those they love
4. Think they know it all

Elizabeth:
1. Acts before she thinks
2. Spends (saves and tithes) all she earns
3. Hurts those she loves
4. (Sometimes) thinks she knows it all

I am a fool.

But I'm a fool craving and begging for wisdom (and a way to find happiness)

How Fools Get Wisdom (happiness):
1. Fear God
2. Ask God
3. Hang out with Wise (happy) people

Craig said that when he was searching for wisdom, he would read a chapter of Proverbs every day - and he did this for 7 years!

Starting tonight, I am taking the next 31 days to read Proverbs and pray for wisdom.

God is doing amazing things in my life - I just know it - and I sure would appreciate your prayers as I walk this road.

Live life glamorously,
Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. I love this Elizabeth! What a great inspiration. :) I've gone through Proverbs a couple times before for devotionals when i didnt have a book or guide, and it's the best! Such a great source of wisdom, and now I want to join you and go read it right now. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that the One and Only God will pour out His wisdom, His love, His strength, His joy and His grace on my beloved daughter! You are so loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love it when Craig is talking directly to you? Strange how often that happens!

    I read every day in the devotional your parents gave me and today's is very inspirational for when we are facing difficulties. "Thank Me when things do not go your way, because spiritual blessings come wrapped in trials" Also from James 1:2 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds.

    Now to try to remember to "consider it pure joy" when things are not going the way I want, will be a challenge:)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete