Friday, November 11, 2011

National Nanny Day

While everyone is celebrating Veteran's Day and 11.11.11, I am celebrating National Nanny Day... So maybe it isn't an official holiday, but it should be.

Today is my Nanny's birthday!!



Without a doubt, Nanny helped shape me into the woman that I am. So many of my childhood memories have her in a co-starring role with my parents. She was at every dance competition with "Nanny's Black Bag" - to the untrained eye it was a normal bag, but to me, it held all of life's wonderful treasures - candy and Little Debbie Gingerbread Cookies.


My Nanny also exposed me to the wonders of the original Parent Trap, Escape to Witch Mountain and Pollyanna. She let me eat all the candy I wanted (hmmm, I'm beginning to understand why I have such a sweet tooth) - and I always shared my Skittles with her Dalmatian. He got the green, yellow and orange Skittles; I ate the red and purple. Nanny also introduced me to Cary Grant - and my oh my am I grateful for that!


I like to think of myself as a mini-me of my Nanny. Aside from our love of dance and Cary (yes, I pretend I'm on a first name basis), I have learned the importance of being there for family by watching her. She is a wonderful and loving mother and grandmother - my mom learned so much from her - and I've been fortunate enough to learn from both of them.



My Nanny means the world to me, and I feel so comforted every time I talk to her on the phone. There are certain phrases that I will always be able to hear my Nanny say, "I love you my darling." "Send them my love." "Now when are you coming home? Oklahoma has so many tornadoes." Haha, that last one makes me giggle so hard.

In closing, Happy Birthday Nanny! I'll see you in a week and a half!!

Live life glamorously,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment