Monday, February 2, 2015

Guthrie Adventures

If I can help it, I like to have something planned every weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I love a Saturday spent watching too many episodes on Netflix. (I'm getting caught up on Parenthood!) But most weekends, I like to have a few things planned to occupy my time.

Confession: I spent some time on Friday planning quite a few of my weekends throughout 2015. It's no wonder that my professional life involves so much planning - it's a big part of who I am.

However, I'm just going to chalk Friday night's behavior up to my goal of being more intentional in 2015.

So, this past weekend... the plan was Guthrie. And that had been the plan for well over a month. The fact that the forecast was calling for cold and rainy (after two days of 70+ and sunny) did not deter us from this mission.

Aside from going to Guthrie when I was in college to see a friend in a show at The Pollard Theatre, I'd never ventured the 30 minutes north to visit the original state capital of Oklahoma. I figured it'd be a pretty good place for my 26 while 26 goal of spending time in 5 new cities.

The cold weather was actually perfect for the first stop on the adventure: Hoboken Coffee Roasters.








Armed with a warm beverage, it was time to start exploring the historic downtown area.

This was one of those times that I was actually dressed appropriately for the weather to be walking around. (Let's not talk about the number of times that I've worn uncomfortable shoes or left my coat at home.)



There are so many great old buildings, brick walkways, and beautiful ghost signs on the sides of the buildings in Guthrie. This Coca-Cola one got me tickled!






It was so funny to notice how many of the doors had a "1/2" as a part of their address. Made me think of Harry Potter. Oooh, that might be my next binge-watch on Netflix.

I'm such a sucker for an exposed brick wall. When I peeked through the window of the door above, there was a beautiful brick wall and an old stairwell with a funny little message, "Don't spit on the stairs." I'd say that's a good life lesson for all of us, no?




The plan was to hit up Union Tacos for lunch. Sadly, we were met with an empty storefront and no sign that UT had ever been there... so, I'm guessing they're closed? Bummer.

We ended up heading south to Norman to have lunch at Chuy's, and I was able to add the 10th and final "new restaurant" to my 26 while 26 list. Victory!!

I feel like I've made a lot of progress on my list in the last month, and I'll make even more this weekend when I go indoor skydiving with Momma in North Carolina!

Happy Monday! Here's to a great week.

xoxo, E


No comments:

Post a Comment