Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Adventures In Skydiving

I'm a scaredy cat.

I think it's only fair to start this post that way.

I am really confident in the things that I'm good at... and really scared when it comes to trying new things.

I'll never forget the time I gave myself a bloody lip in the 6th grade at our annual camp retreat. I was literally frozen in fear - and apparently biting my lip - as I stood trying to muster the courage to jump off the ledge and onto "the blob" in the lake. I didn't do it that day -- and I didn't even come close to trying again during the next 6 years of going to Windy Gap.

When I was making my 26 while 26 list, I included a few things that sounded super fun and exciting, without even considering that I might be terrified to try them when the time actually came.

For instance, the zip line adventure.

I. Was. Terrified.

There were tears - my neck got red and splotchy from the stress - and my legs were shaking. (Let me tell you, I looked cute!)

Up next, this month's indoor skydiving feat...

This was a goal that I knew I wanted to accomplish ever since my mom went a few years ago with her friends, so it seemed like a natural fit for the 26 while 26 list. I also knew that I wanted to have this experience with my mom.

So, when I went home to North Carolina 2 weeks ago, she made an appointment for us to go fly!


I was so excited to go indoor skydiving. And my excitement was pretty steady until we took the elevator up to the third floor of the building and I heard exactly what 150mph wind sounds like.

::Gulp:: "Ummmm, I'm not sure I can do this."

My mom is a born encourager. With a huge, reassuring smile on her face she said, "Yes you can honey! I've done it. It's totally safe. You'll have so much fun!"

::Gulp:: "I definitely don't think I can do this."

Enter, Dustin. (The same instructor that my mom had on her first flying adventure)

Dustin took us down to the classroom and gave a quick overview on how the tunnel works, the proper posture to have in the tunnel, what the different hand signals mean for when we're in there and he's guiding us, as well as some things to remember to be safe in there.

::deep breath:: "Okay, maybe I can do this."

As I started making self-deprecating jokes about how nervous I was, I noticed that my legs were shaking. No time to think about that... we were off to get suited up.


By this time, a few "expert flyers" had arrived for their time in the tunnel. Dustin told them he was going to take us in first, then they could go.

Awesome. Now if I cry or chicken out, I'll be making a fool of myself in front of these guys who think this is no big deal.

Fabulous.

Momma and I stood in the waiting area and they ramped up the speed in the wind tunnel. You guys, I'm not even kidding, my whole body started to vibrate under the force.

"Yep, there's no way I'm doing this."

Naturally, Momma offered to go first -- and of course, she rocked it!




How is she so photogenic in 100mph winds?! Also, in that last photo, she is 50ft. up in the air. Go Momma!

Once she came out of the tunnel, I froze in panic...

Dustin was saying "Come on girl! Let's do this!" and I tearfully admitted to my mom, "I can't do this. Seriously. I can't do it."

Again, Momma is a phenomenal cheerleader and I found a way to step towards the entrance to the tunnel. I love it that the photographer happened to capture the moment after I found the courage to try.


As it turns out, it was so much fun!




This is (yet another) one of those times when I'm so glad that I didn't let fear control me and I stepped up to the plate -- or the 100mph winds.

And just for fun, here are a few photos of those expert flyers!



Consider this item checked off my 26 while 26 list!

xoxo, E


No comments:

Post a Comment