Thursday, October 23, 2014

The guy who started it all..

I have always loved paper - for as long as I can remember. I have a box of cards, notes, and letters that date all the way back to elementary school. It's fun for me to pull out the box and sift through all of the treasures that are in there!

So, as I said, I've always loved paper... but it wasn't until I checked my mail on Tuesday afternoon that I finally realized what made me fall in love with snail mail to begin with.

I opened my mailbox to find an envelope addressed to Lizzy Newton, and I couldn't get inside fast enough to open the letter from my darling Danny Boy.

Dan and I met as just a couple of 16-year-old kids at a leadership conference in Washington, D.C. 


Following that trip, we started writing letters to each other - and even though the frequency has decreased a bit - it's a tradition that we've continued for 10 years. (I can't believe it's been that long!)


Side note: I need to send Dan some mail while I'm in another state. He's winning the award in "variety of states" mailings!

Danny Boy: CT, NY, VA, GA, and OH
Lizzy: NC and OK

#boring

I consider myself a fairly witty person, but I cannot hold a candle to Daniel. Seriously, it's almost pointless to try.

I would go to the mail room in college and as soon as I'd see his handwriting, I'd quickly flip over the envelope to see the humor that was waiting for me.

Here are a few of my favorites...

"My apologies if the seal smells like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I was eating one when I licked it..."

"How can you tell if a Smurf is choking on something?"


"To the mailman (or woman): if you read our weird notes, check here"


So, when I checked the mail on Tuesday and had two pieces of 8.5 x 14 paper waiting for me from my Daniel, well I was giddy.

One of the pages was filled with his humor, details about his new house in Ohio (and the large guest suite that has my name on it), congratulations and excitement over Loops & Belles, and the mention of a "nitriding furnace."

::pause::

Nitriding... Right... I totally know what that means.

Lucky for me, Dan included a drawing to explain Nitriding - complete with atoms, references to the periodic table, and graphs. You guys, he's an engineer... and way smarter than I can ever hope to be!



I have to admit that I kind of love that a piece of snail mail has the ability to brighten my day as much as this one did.

Happy Thursday friends. Here's to hoping you have a fun little surprise in your mailbox today!

xoxo, E


No comments:

Post a Comment